Presenting Top Ten War Movies of all time. Movies that admired for action, story and best imitation of the real war incidents are included in the list below. Movies that are based on World War, Vietnam War and other war movies. Apart from those movies, Top Ten War Movies List also contains those movies who created a new story of war and then made it to the fullest.
10. Das Boot: This movie is based on an autobiographical novel by German World War II photographer Lothar-Guenther Buchheim. The movie is about the fearless U-Boat captain (Jurgen Prochnow) and his inexperienced crew as they patrol the Atlantic and Mediterranean in search of Allied vessels, taking turns as hunter and prey. This movie is well known not only for its gripping and authentic theme of war but also for the cinematography.
9. The Bridge On The River Kwai: Based on the battle of will and obsession of two commanders, Japanese Commander Colonel Saito and British Commander Nicholson, The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957), is one of the Top Ten World War 2 movies. Commander Saito persists Nicholson that he orders his men to construct Kwai Bridge. This bridge is supposed to accommodate the Burma-Siam railway. The British Prisoners, around whom the film is made, hold an intension to destroy that enemy bridge. But, the control of commander Nicholson, persuades them to build that bridge as a monument of the British work. Nicholson ends up convincing himself that the bridge should be made perfect forgetting that it is the prime advantage his enemy will be getting. Later, the Allies show up, who are under a secret mission to blow up the bridge.
8. The Battle of Algiers: Although the Movie was not based on Word War or any other international war, it maintained the seriousness of a war movie. Based on the freedom fighters seeking liberty from French Colonization, The Battle of Algiers (1966), presents the denial of people against the controlling force. The movie looks like a documentary and has visualized the dark side of war with this strong approach. Directed by Gillo Pontecorvo, this war movie which positions itself in the top ten best war movies, has brought the war of the Algerians and the French in the streets on Algeria.
7. Full Metal Jacket: Directed by Stanley Kubrick, as a comeback after seven years, Full Metal Jacket (1987) shapes up the scenario of the Vietnam War focusing on a group of inexpert Marine volunteers. The volunteers’ distressing boot-camp training under the wicked, power-saw control of drill trainer Sgt. Hartman detailed in the film’s first half. The second half shows Nam, through the eyes of the now painstakingly trained marines. Filmed almost entirely in England, Full Metal Jacket is one of the top ten Vietnam War Movies ever made.
6. Platoon: Directed by Oliver Stone, Platoon (1986), is another movie based on the Vietnam War and one of the top ten best war movies of all time. Chris Taylor, who is a inexperienced young college boy, gives up everything to volunteer in the War in Vietnam. He gets that his presence there is almost pointless as soon as he gets there. He is insignificant in the combat as compared to the other soldiers as he can’t fight as long as the them. Controlled by his two Non-Commission Officers, who have completely contrasting character, soon realizes that he is fighting two battles there. One battle was against the enemies and the second among the team and NCOS. The latter being the result of a conflict within the platoon.
5. Saving Private Ryan: This movie is about the overwhelming and tragic life of the soldiers in the period of war. Directed by Steven Spielberg, the story of the movie focuses on the immediate aftermath of World War 2. George C. Marshall (Harve Presnell), requests to bring back Pvt. James Ryan (Matt Damon) when he comes to know that three Ryan brothers from the same family have been killed in a single week. Capt. Miller (Tom Hnaks) gets the assignment. Saving Private Ryan is considered as one of the top ten modern war movies by many of the movie critics and the credit for it not only goes to the director Spielberg, but also to the ever great actors: Tom Hanks and Matt Damon.
4. Schindler’s List: This movie is based on the true story of Oskar Schindler, a German businessman in Poland who sees an opportunity to make money from the Nazis’ rise to power. He ends up saving 1,100 Jews form the death camp. This movie is about the true portrayal the Jews life and the holocaust. Directed by Steven Spielberg, this movie won seven academy awards including best picture and best director.
3. Paths of Glory: This movie is adapted from Humphrey Cobb’s novel and the theme is based on anti-war statement. True portrayal of the devastating results of the war has been depicted in this movie. Due to the very reason, this movie comes under the category of top 10 war movies. The French general Broulard (Adolphe Menjou) orders his troops to seize the heavily equipped “Ant Hill” from the Germans. General Mireau (George MacReady) knows that this action will be suicidal, but he will sacrifice his men to augment his own reputation. By watching the devastating effect of the war, the handful amount of soldiers refuses to go on the war. After the defeat in the war, mireau convinces himself that loss of Ant Hill was due to the cowardice of his men. He demands the execution of three soldiers form the lot. Colonel Dax, as defense attorney powerfully pleads for the lives of the three slodires. However, he becomes unable to protect them. Even an evidence about the Mireau’s incompetence is ignored by the Broulard, who is unable to admit the defeat.
2. Casablanca: Casablanca(1942) is one of the sweetest movies ever created. Directed by Michael Curtiz, this masterpiece features the love, deception and ofcourse war. Presenting the Scenario of the early part of second World War, Casablanca is a story of a weary former freedom fighter, Rick Blaine, who runs a night club in Casablanca now. The club which he runs in the middle of the city is actually something more than a café. He has been allowing the refugees to use place as a sanctuary. But one day, love of his life, Ilsa comes to his place with her husband, a well-known rebel, Victor Laszlo. Ilsa, who had dumped Rick in the past, has come to his place to escape to America with her husband. However, eventually, Ilsa renews her love for Rick. Now, Rick, at the end takes a decision, which brings this work of art, one of the top ten world war movies, to a reasonable conclusion.
1. Apocalypse Now: During the war in Vietnam, Captain Willard of the U.S. Army is sent on a mission by Colonel Lucas, unofficially. The mission, as they explain to him, is to find out and deal with AWOL Colonel Walter Kurtz supposed to have entered Cambodia and conducting lethal actions against the NVA and Viet Cong. Willard’s army considers Col. Kurtz has to be eliminated. The army reaches Colonel Kurtz’s outpost but before that, they face lots of spine-tingling encounters. Before accomplishing his mission or at least reaching it, Willard faces napalm, Col. Kilgore, some draftees a jumpy photographer, who is also a nice tale-teller and lots of adventures, comprising this movie to be one of the top ten Hollywood war movies.